Welcome!

Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday, October 2 - Thoughts on the National Parks and Other Places

I've been in a very intropective mood the past week.  I think that is partly due to watching the National Parks show on PBS, partly due to being sick (H1N1) and having sick kids and just "laying low" this past week.

This show has made me think how different my life would be if there were no national parks, national monuments, wilderness.  They have shaped me and continue to do so even at the ripe old age of 42.  Every visit to one of these places is a gift and changes me in some way...sometimes these are profound changes, sometimes they are minute.  I feel so sad for all the people who by choice or circumstance have not been able to experience these places for themselves.  And even more tragic in some ways...for those who have the opportunity and don't take advantage of it. And for those who do visit but don't have their souls and minds open to the experience and spend their time simply doing what they are "supposed" to do...cram in as much as possible.  You need to stop and listen and take your time, in these places.  So many people don't really "see" Yellowstone...they see the geysers and a few bison but hate the bison jams and don't bother to visit the out of the way corners of the park.  I believe that to truly "see" Yellowstone, you need to take a few days to just spend time sitting and looking and listening.  This goes for all these places.  Get off the beaten path. Take a day to simply feel the park.  Walk the trails...sit and look at the rivers.  If you take a few hours and sit and watch the Lamar River in Yellowstone, I guarantee you will see things.  But you need to take the time and be open to it.
© 2009 Tara Morrison

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
Adventures on the road with (and sometimes without) my kids. Check back soon for the infamous Summer of 2008 trip (aka: how many flat tires can one mom have in a single trip?) and more! This blog goes in reverse...older trips being added weekly. Please sign up for the RSS feed so you will know when there are updates. Or, email me to be put on an update list!